Why oh why did I not listen to myself? When Rich and I moved in I said” we won’t kill ourselves, we’ll make the house look lovely, but it doesn’t have to be perfect anymore.”  But then I looked  at the textured wallpaper in our bedroom and thought  ” let’s remove it, we can do it, we have a paper stripper!”

So last week I managed to get a hold of a sheet of the stuff on the wall and off I went ripping it off. “How weird I thought it’s like string?!” But off I went again leaving a big strip shape hole in the paper.

On Sunday I ensconced hamster face hubby downstairs (for those who don’t know about Rich please see my previous blog) and I thought I can do this. I’ll start without a paper stripper because this stuff is weird and stringy. (Still alarm bells did not ring!) The only way you could get it off was with a Stanley glass scraper and in some places it would lift and I could pull it. But as I was pulling it it felt like things were sticking in my hands and my skin started itching. ” This feels like fiberglass” I thought” it really does – I need to explain I am allergic to fiberglass.

So off I went downstairs and looked it up, and lo! All was revealed it was fiberglass! They had stuck fiberglass netting on the wall, and I had started to strip it, so had no choice I had to bloody finish!

I went  into Hammy and said ” we’re  only stripping one wall, I should have listened to myself and just painted over it. It’s bloody fiberglass, and now I have done a quarter of the wall we will have to finish stripping it now!” (Notice I said “we” as I realised the crappiness of the task. So toothache or not he was helping!)

But the next day, bless him he looked so poorly I soldiered on for three hours, and the next day for five hours, with long sleeves and thick suede gloves on, and still the f********* thing was firmly stuck to the wall in some places. I tried the paper stripper, nada, it melted it in parts but then it just went gloopy. As you can see poor hubby came up to help me yesterday, because I had lost the will to live, and he finally finished it.  What a joy it was here it is all over the floor.


Our bedroom? This is what it looked like yesterday:



Obviously the cats and dogs were not allowed anywhere near. We are in our old bed, which whilst it has an extremely comfy mattress, it is a king size and we are now used to a super king. Wiglet the welshie is fine, she lays on the daybed because she is a princess. Harley he sleeps with mummy and daddy because he is a baby, and he is getting soooooo hot, along with the fact that every time hammy moves with his toothache, Harley has to move and he SERIOUSLY put out!

Today I got to it. I cleared the crap up, wearing huge rubber gloves up my arms, I could have put my hand quite comfortably up a cows arse, and trust me it would have been more enjoyable! But we did it and the first coat of paint has been put on the wall, and I am moving forward. Just the rest of the room, a rocking chair to shabby chic, the dressing tables I have to complete, a blanket box to shabby chic, and two tall boys to paint. Not much!!! Oh and I forgot the wardrobe!

As promised look out for the next update.